Senior Category Specialist - Technical Services
SUPPLY CHAIN TRANSFORMATION
The Supply Chain Management organization is undergoing a transformation with the mission to provide focus on maximizing enterprise value in all assigned categories through a clear understanding of client’s role within the supply chain. We will provide optimal sourcing strategies, contracting, materials management and logistics while pursuing our goal to reduce supply chain risk and costs, provide a deep understanding of supply markets and business drivers while ensuring security of supply by optimizing the supply, demand, fulfillment, and services business processes. The new organization will deliver sustainable breakthrough levels of value to the client’s businesses by utilizing our scale and capabilities, leveraging the enterprise spend and securing distinctive supply relationships. We will fully engage resources, skills and technology appropriately in a systemic approach to deliver maximum velocity and value solutions while ensuring business ownership, integration and alignment, and a focus on total cost of ownership.
The Senior Category Specialist is responsible for the development and execution of critical category initiatives in support of LNG terminals, and pipelines materials and services. Required experience in technical, maintenance TAR, OEM engineered equipment (turbines, generators, pipe, values, flanges, compressors, pumps) materials repair, pipeline construction, dredging, engineer & design, security, tools, and tugging service supply markets and agreements is a critical part of this position. The Senior Category Specialist will add value through their experience, expertise and established networks. Responsibilities include development and execution of category strategies in alignment with the SCM agenda. The role requires a deep understanding of client’s business objectives and desired outcomes, engaging with internal clients, understanding the strategic options and risks associated within the supply market. The Senior Category Specialist reports directly to the Category Manager Engineered Equipment and will work with the Manager of Contracts and Procurement to develop and implement category and sourcing strategies.
In depth knowledge of the related supply market, all typical or standard contract provisions including provisions regarding warranties, confidentiality, title and risk of loss, reporting requirements, taxes, indemnities and insurance provisions. Experience in researching and developing category strategies. Also in depth knowledge of typical contract structure and contract negotiation skills. Detailed knowledge of all related client systems.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Communicates effectively and with integrity across key business clients to align direction between the category and the internal client.
- Implements and realizes value through effective “strategic cost management” utilizing best in class methods (e.g. should cost, total cost of ownership).
- Leads and participates in cross-functional teams in the category strategy development, sourcing and negotiations
- Assists in the development of category short and long-term business plans to facilitate achievement of goals.
- Assists the Category Manager in exploring the wider supply market and industry markets to identify opportunities that client can leverage for great benefit delivery or to mitigate supply risk.
- Demonstrates behaviors of creativity and challenge.
- Assists the Category Manager in the required due diligence in mitigating all external supply risk from supplier selection through contract execution.
- Works with the Category Manager to implements sourcing process across sites to ensure delivery of business plans and category strategies.
- Collaborate with the Legal Department, Finance Dept. (includes Tax), HSE, Supply Chain, Operations (or any other department/function) as appropriate, to ensure contractual and commercial risks and exposures are clearly identified, analyzed and properly addressed in contractual provisions.
- Ensure that all Category Strategies are in compliance with the Supply Chain Category Best Practices.
- Participate in the Category Management and Strategic Sourcing training and development initiatives.
- In accordance to the established category strategy, manage the acquisition process for materials and services from providers, engaging appropriate Legal support throughout the negotiation process, facilitating requirements gathering from appropriate sources for new contracts and contract renewals.
- Develop and maintain a broad understanding of related industries through the assessment of emerging and changing business needs, as well as industry best practices.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS)
- Education and Certifications: A Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management or related Business area is required.
- Experience: 7-10 years’ experience in accepted supply chain principles and processes, preferably with a background in category management. Must have experience in executing category strategies, contracts and supply alliances, (including qualification and audit), contract management and commercial negotiations. The candidate should have deep supply market knowledge around facilities maintenance and operations, major operating equipment, MRO, EPC & Capital Projects, engineering & design, and technical support services required to support process manufacturing (LNG experienced nice to have) and pipeline / midstream operations.
The ability to demonstrate the following competencies to the described level including but not limited to:
Performance Focus – Skillful
- Monitors progress against schedules and monitors quality standards
- Recommends challenging performance targets
- Remains focused on goals regardless of obstacles and set backs
- Manages and balances costs and output, ensuring budget and targets are met
Team Dynamics - Skillful
- Maintains a focus on team spirit and cooperation
- Respects and relates well to people with diverse backgrounds
Business Acumen - Skillful
- Understands client’s entities and strategy
- Strong ability to interpret legal and commercial aspect of contracts and project strategies including the economics, tax implications, insurance and legal aspects
- An acute sensitivity to safety issues in a hazardous environment
Leadership - Skillful
- Highly skilled in technical coaching and assists with others’ development
- Can interpret the rationale for decisions relating to client’s goals
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with clients and the team
Decisions Making - Skillful
- Is effective in drilling down to accurate data used for problem solving
- Effective in establishing priorities based on performance goals and needs for the business
Innovation – Skillful
- Can challenge traditional thinking and promote new ideas
- Regularly sets challenging but attainable goals for continuous improvement
- Has the demonstrated ability to break down complex issues and observations into clear concepts
- Computer skills including Oracle Purchasing, Oracle Payables, Oracle Inventory, MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, MS Project, Adobe Acrobat Professional), SharePoint, and Documentum.
FREEDOM TO ACT
The Senior Category Specialist is highly skilled in his or her field and requires minimal supervision in the performance of responsibilities.
- Job is performed in a typical office environment with frequent visits to the site locations.
- Occasionally, work may be performed after normal work hours or on weekends.
- Required to travel, as business conditions dictate.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing, per applicable federal regulations.
Complete the form below to apply for this job.
Our recruiters are always ready to help
If you need support in finding a new role, we are always here to support you. Contact your local Competentia office to speak to an expert today.