Location: Lake Charles, LA
Reports to: Finance Manager
This position is primarily responsible for all aspects of the operating expense reporting and analysis for the refinery, but will also have other responsibilities that foster a broader understanding of the key performance indicators and financial position of the refinery. The role will closely interact with senior management to understand cost drivers, identify improvement opportunities, and develop the annual budget.
The Finance Analyst will possess outstanding reconciliation and analysis skills. This analyst is a key contributor to the monthly close process, handling a variety of responsibilities in a fast-paced environment. It will be critical to this individual’s success that he/she is a versatile team member with the ability to analyze complex accounts in an expeditious manner to adhere to strict deadlines.
- Manages the cost accounting/reporting function including preparation of cost reports, analysis of actual results versus budgeted operating expense, and analysis of other monthly variances and trends.
- Key team player in the monthly closing process performing journal entry and accrual responsibilities as needed.
- May support the team by performing other income statement or balance sheet analysis functions to assist with monthly closing.
- Supports external reporting requirements including operating expense analysis, submission of Corporate Reporting Database statistics, preparation of year-end disclosures and compliance with Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) requirements.
- Understands key contracts and validates accuracy of the resulting accounting transactions.
- Coordinates the annual operating expense budget.
- Sets up projects in SAP, and monitors expense. Provides status reports for teams to ensure fiduciary compliance.
- Facilitates cost allocations and supports joint venture accounting requirements.
- Prepares reports and runs monthly cost meetings providing detailed analysis to the operations and maintenance groups for the refinery. Coordinates and reports monthly cost forecasts.
- Provides functional guidance for SAP related cost processes to ensure compliance with US GAAP and consistency of benchmark reporting.
- Perform special project roles and ad-hoc analysis as needed. Drives continuous improvement in processes and controls with a focus on efficiency and effectiveness, leveraging key systems.
- Demonstrates behaviors consistent with the company’s values of Safety, Honor, and Commitment.
- Possesses strong business ethics.
- Duties may be modified or assigned at any time to meet the needs of the business.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, or MBA
- 3 or more years of professional experience
- 4 or more years related industry experience, including cost analysis
- Experience in Oracle Essbase or other financial consolidation software system
- Advanced proficiency with Excel with proficiency in other office products including Access.
- Proficient understanding and use of SAP modules – PM, FI/CO.
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to drive implementation of plan and system changes.
- Ability to analyze data and rationalize to decisions that add value to the business
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong networking and collaboration skills
- Ability to prioritize workloads, balance short and long-term goals, and adhere to strict deadlines.
Competentia is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Competentia, participates in E-Verify as required by law.
Complete the form below to apply for this job.