CNC Programmer II (Intermediate)
Duration: 12 months
Job Location: Houston
Schedule: M-F (6:00am – 2:30pm)
Product Segment: Completions
Job Purpose: Generating CNC programs for oilfield completion products.
- Demonstrate commitment to attendance within attendance policy
- Demonstrate commitment to company’s health, safety & environment standards
- Complete required safety training
- Read and interpret technical drawings and follow oral and written instructions
- Select the best metal cutting tooling for each job
- Work closely with Tooling Department to define what tooling is needed for each job
- Respond promptly to programming requests
- Write CNC programs according to each part’s routing instructions. Clarify with routing team if any uncertainty exists.
- Generate CNC programs using CAM software
- Verify CNC programs using verification software
- Maintain CNC program library per the established standards
- Troubleshoot machining nonconformances that are caused by the CNC program
- Work with tooling vendors to understand, test, and implement the latest cutting tool technology
- Perform daily 5S activities and participate in lean manufacturing projects
- Employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above, and any duties are subject to change at any time, according to the needs of the company.
Special Knowledge & Skills:
- Understands applicable mathematics and physics involved with machining
- Working experience with gauges and measuring devices such as micrometers, calipers, height and thread gauges etc.
- Understands key metal cutting equations for milling & turning (SFM, IPT, IPR, MRR, etc.)
- Understands chip thinning and why it’s important in machining
- Understands machining operations carried out on CNC lathes, CNC mills and CNC mill turns
- Working experience with CNC G&M code required
- Working experience with CAM software (EdgeCAM) required
- Working experience with machining simulation & verification software (Vericut) required.
- Understands properties of metals and how they should affect metal cutting strategies
- Understands how part geometry, surface finish requirements, GD&T requirements and tooling characteristics should affect metal cutting strategies
- Understands how machine setup and fixturing should affect metal cutting strategies
- Knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerance (GD&T) preferred
- Experience implementing on machining probing cycles preferred
- Ability to interact well with a wide range of personnel (Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, HSE, etc.)
Supervision: Normal supervision required
Direct Supervisor: Programming Manager
Competentia is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Competentia, participates in E-Verify as required by law.
Complete the form below to apply for this job.
We have recently issued an updated Privacy Statement.
It’s important that you review and agree to the terms of the policy before applying to jobs.