Site Project Engineer
The primary responsibility of the Project Engineer is engineering support and management of contractors. The role revolves around assisting the Project Manager (and Project Team) in determining priorities, meeting strict deadlines and budget demands while having the ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision. The role will require flexibility across disciplines, and across general duties, with the overarching requirement being to address priorities, regardless of their nature.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS THAT ARE ESSENTIAL TO THE ROLE:
- University degree in a relevant discipline (Mechanical Engineering or similar).
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED SKILLSETS:
- Experience in multi-discipline, EPC and EPCM projects.
- Experience in the mining or energy industry with on-site works during construction and commissioning being essential.
- Experience in contract/sub-contract management and administration
- Experience in the construction of concrete, structural, mechanical, and piping disciplines
- Experience in management and implementation of quality control and assurance.
- Possess a strong understanding of applicable codes.
- Ability to read and interpret design drawings, schematics and other engineering drawings.
- Proficient in Windows XP, Microsoft Office including Outlook and in the use of scheduling tools – Primavera preferred, but at a minimum MS Project.
DESIRED PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
- You are a highly motivated individual who proactively, purposefully and efficiently completes work tasks to meet the needs of both our internal and external customers.
- Be a self-starter who is systematic with a marketing flare
- You have strong time management skills including the ability to manage a diverse range of tasks with changing deadlines
- Day to day management of Project Teams, sub-contractors and Vendors, as allocated by the Project Manager, including conducting weekly meetings with contractors and internal project coordination meetings.
- Preparation of tenders and offers in line with client technical/administrative requirements furnished in tender/requirements/needs.
- Identifying business development opportunities through channels, contacts etc and forwarding to team. Meeting the concerned clients and preparing technical qualifications/needs.
- Read and interpret specifications, technical drawings, schematics, and any other engineering documentation /report.
- Site reporting including detailed construction progress reporting of all disciplines and contractors
- Perform calculations for site modification, lift studies and general site engineering problem solving using engineering formulas and skills.
- Apply local Standards and codes or identify alternatives and solutions to code exceptions and devise new approaches to problems encountered.
- Provide technical management and quality control and assurance for all works on site.
- Review and approve all QC documentation provided by the contractor.
- Plan, schedule, conduct, and/or coordinate detailed phases of assigned project work.
- Inform relevant personnel of changes to design and/or scope that may impact deadlines, workloads, or assignments of the team or project and project budget.
- Stay abreast of, the project design and construction schedules.
- Control and monitor contractor costs and variations through the utilization of project management skills.
- Monitor project scope creep and work with Project/Construction Manager on delivery of any additional client service requests.
- Develop satisfactory client relationships to ensure repeat business for the company.
- Complete and works in a timely fashion with a diligent attitude, while focusing on safety during all works.
- Remain up to date in developments in the profession and within the organisation as appropriate.
- Participate and contribute to a team effort, exchanging ideas and recommending improvements.
- Perform self-appraisals and appraisals of any subordinates.
- Provide direction to all internal Project members during all Project phases’ activities to ensure schedule, budget and QA specifications are met.
- Manage sub-contractors and vendors during supply, construction and commissioning phases of any Project.
PERFORM HSE DUTIES:
- Report all Project-level HSE objectives and KPIs
- Must have or complete a MSHA New Miner Training prior to work-start
- Implement, review and maintain the Project Specific HSE Plan in accordance with the HSE Manual and project-specific requirements
- Comply with all HSE Management System requirements and Client HSE contractual agreements
- Create and deliver project-specific HSE documentation
- Ensure compliance with project, statutory and HSE System requirements
- Ensure completion of site HSE inspection
Competentia is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Competentia, participates in E-Verify as required by law.
Complete the form below to apply for this job.
We have recently issued an updated Privacy Statement.
It’s important that you review and agree to the terms of the policy before applying to jobs.