About the role
Our client’s Petroleum Innovation Team enables the discovery, prioritization, de-risking and delivery of step change and disruptive innovation opportunities in support of Petroleum growth and value. We are seeking unique and diverse skills to inject new thoughts and perspectives into our Innovation efforts. Our client is excited to bring together passionate and creative individuals with diverse Petroleum, Technology and Innovation backgrounds to join our team.
The Innovation Data Scientist role will be part of an agile team responsible for de-risking and reducing uncertainty around how new technologies can be used to solve our most challenging problems. This role is responsible for executing data science tasks designed to make better use of company’s vast amounts of data and develop insights that have business value. This role requires a unique skillset with the ability to merge the rapid developments of computer science and machine learning with the rich depth of disparate and complex data sets such as 3D spatial geoscience data, time series operations data, and legacy unstructured data. We need out of the box thinkers, unafraid to try new things and learn from how other industries work with data. This is individual contributor role in which you will be developing algorithms to integrate and analyse data sets as part of a multi-disciplinary team and building Proofs of Concepts and Minimum Viable Products proving out new and innovative concepts.
In this role you will:
- Work under the supervision of senior data scientists, geoscientists and engineers.
- Develop machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms to extract insights from complex, disparate and sometimes sparse data sets.
- Develop Proofs of Concepts and Minimum Viable Products capable of delivering analytic insights to end users.
- Collaborate with other team members and the business to understand problem statements and formulate approaches for solving specific business challenges
- Assist with the build out and maintenance of an AWS development environment.
- Research and identify potential technology solutions from external partners
- Attend relevant industry and technology conferences/seminars and bring back learnings for sharing to the broader Innovation Team and Petroleum Business.
- Foster attitude that value and promote innovation.
- Bachelors (Master is preferred) degree in STEM major from accredited institution.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills with a thirst to learn new areas.
- 3+ years’ experience in applying statistics & data science techniques to deliver insightful and useful conclusions from large, complex, disparate data sets.
- Good experience in data collection, cleansing, visualization, data quality assessment, and the use of analytics to build minimum viable data (MVD)
- Must have good knowledge of data science techniques including data collection and pre-processing, feature extraction, supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas will be a plus: natural language processing, computer vision, time series analysis, deep learning, neural networks, and geospatial modelling.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and application of descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics to deliver insights from structured, unstructured and semi-structured data sets.
- Must have good programming skills in python and the knowledge of one or more analytics software tools and languages (e.g. R, Matlab, Java, Scala)
- Experience in working with and analysing complex geospatial data sets, and knowledgeable in Geospatial analytic tools such as ArcGIS, ArcPRO, ArcPy, etc.
- Experience in machine learning model deployment and life cycle is a plus.
- Good understanding of distributed computing and efficient algorithm design.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, able to effectively explain technical information to various audiences
- Experience in Oil & Gas is a plus
Competentia is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Competentia, participates in E-Verify as required by law.
Complete the form below to apply for this job.
We have recently issued an updated Privacy Statement.
It’s important that you review and agree to the terms of the policy before applying to jobs.