Our client, a major Energy producer, is hiring a Transmission Manager to evaluate current and planned transmission systems to estimate available transmission capacity for projects and make recommendations to the regional development teams. You will track transmission developments in regulated and organized markets in order to advise the regional teams in handling all transmission & interconnection related issues.
- Provide advice and support to origination and market operations departments
- Manage & monitor interconnection process for wind and solar projects
- Provide analyses of congestion and basis risks for potential and existing projects with a long-term view while tracking the regional transmission planning and development
- Manage and support the full interconnection securing process across all TPs to secure least cost reliable LGIAs, from initial interconnection queue request to final execution of the large generator interconnection agreement (LGIA), and the transition of LGIA to construction and operation in accordance with deadlines
- Develop strategies to select new project sites and evaluate opportunities with transmission-related work to ensure each project has sufficient transmission availability for project competitiveness
- Provide expertise and analytical support on transmission and interconnection issues
- Provide technical and competitive insight throughout development, interconnection, and operation phases of projects.
- Represent Client's interests in regional forums, ISOs, RTOs etc. as needed
- Establish relationship with RTOs, ISOs, and utilities during interconnection process to achieve reliable and least cost interconnection and LGIA
- Lead internal and external teams’ analyses of transmission load flow and Location Marginal Price (LMP) and the modeling of ISO systems in order to determine their impact on Client's NA’s portfolio
- Propose hedging solutions to ultimately reduce energy price differential between different locations within an energy market
- Work with Market Operations to ensure that a complete understanding of transmission and market-related risks are included in the FTR and hedging strategies
- Provide assessment of grid interconnection to support Origination and M&A activities, such as LMP, congestion risk, curtailment risks, basis risks, etc
- Analyze, forecast, and provide guidance regarding Financial Transmission Rights (FTRs), forward prices, transmission congestion, curtailments, and LMP basis price spread
- Serve as transmission and market design expert by tracking changes, performing research regarding interconnection and transmission policies including FERC record searches, and reviewing key topics and research and review of market rules or processes
- Carry out additional duties as assigned
Direct reports: None
Travel: up to 10%
- Bachelor’s in Engineering, Finance, Business, or a related field (Master’s degree is preferred)
- 5-10 years in the electric energy industry, power flow (PSSE/MUST) modeling, transmission panning, interconnection studies and SCED analysis (PROMOD, UPLAN etc.) is preferred
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, power flow, and SCED analysis tools
- Proficient knowledge of FERC, NERC, and WECC
- Working knowledge of documents guiding energy for development/electricity sales (e.g., SIS, OATT, LGIA)
- Competency in Analytical Problem Solving, Strong Communication, Customer/Partner Relationships, and Technology Expertise. (Preferred)
- Ability to deal with complex issues comprehensively from a high theoretical level through implementation details (e.g., ability to understand modeling techniques, technical standards, and how they will eventually impact commercial activity)
- Statistical and analytical skills
- Ability to distill and convey essential knowledge in order to support management and business decisions
- Ability to multi-task and balance job requirements to meet the demands of various internal and external clients
- Strong problem-solving ability
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to be self-motivated
Physical demands & working conditions:
- Sitting/Standing/Flexibility: Ability to stand and sit for 8 or more hours when in an office environment
- Speech/Reading: Ability to speak, read, and write English proficiently and deliver a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form.
- Lifting: Ability to lift items weighing up to 10 pounds
- Vision/Hearing: Ability to understand a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Safety: Ability to understand and communicate safety precautions when necessary
Bachelors or better in Business Administration or related field.
Bachelors or better in Engineering or related field.
Bachelors or better in Finance or related field.
5-10 years: 5-10 years in the electric energy industry, power flow (PSSE/MUST) modeling, transmission panning, interconnection studies and SCED analysis (PROMOD, UPLAN etc.) is preferred
Competentia is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Competentia, participates in E-Verify as required by law.
Complete the form below to apply for this job.
We have recently issued an updated Privacy Statement.
It’s important that you review and agree to the terms of the policy before applying to jobs.